This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Please allow me a moment to vent!

If you've tuned in today, you will hear me bitch just a bit! Turns out the "great plan" to get Long Term Disability insurance isn't really panning out too well after all. Here's why...my last chemo happened on October 3rd. I started working January 2nd, any my first day of coverage for LTD began on March 1st. All good, until you read the part that says any illness for which you've recieved treatment for within 6 months of the effective start date for the insurance is considered pre-existing. I'm no math whiz, but I come up with 5 months from my last tx. to effect start date of coverage. Long story short, I'm sh*t out of luck.

Looks like I'll be standing in line at the Social Security office, hoping I'll get approved for their disability program. It could take about 6 months for me to get approved through them, although "approval" really shouldn't be a problem since I won't be allowed to work--ya know, due to having NO IMMUNE SYSTEM!!! Just sucks that we will be living off of only Scott's income until I can at least get disability. Oh yeah, did I mention that Scott was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and is supposed to be having surgery for that?! That's right, the news just keeps getting better! Needless to say, he will not do it now--so please keep good thoughts that Scott will not become more seriously injured or require the surgery in order to continue working.

Okay, bitchfest over....

Without going back and looking at what I've posted previously, I can't exactly remember what I've said. So, let me just say that this week I will be completing my first cycle of ICE chemotherapy. I get three weeks "off", then my second round of ICE. Another three weeks off, then re-staging testing to determine how well the chemo did at kicking cancer's butt, then on to the stem cell transplant. I will discuss that in more detail later. I know the general info about it, but won't be fully informed until at least Tuesday, when I meet my transplant team. Geez, as hard as it's seemed getting the info, you'd think this was all classified information--and that I'm apparently not on a "need to know" basis!!!!

Okay, I'm really done crabbin' now!!!

Love to all!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis, sorry to hear about all the B.S. I think that the whole disability thing sucks ass!!! I find it amazingly depressing just how well those intricate policies are written to screw absolutely everyone that could actually benefit from the coverage. While thousands of people are screwing the system year after year, the people who really need the help get left behind. Maybe if our government would spend less time arguing over whether this stupid war in Iraq is actually worth our time and money, and more time working to better the lives of the people who actually live in this country, people like my you wouldn't have to take it up the butt so often. But that is enough for my anti-government tirade for now.
I know that Kevin and I don't have a lot of money ourselves, but you are welcome to anything you need if it will help. I know mom and dad raised us not to take handouts from anyone, but that is what family is fore. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help you all out. Even if it is something as small as taking the dogs or kids off your hands for a while, or as big as kidnapping Brett Favre and making him dance naked for your amusement (and mine as well), consider it done. You name it and I will do my best to make it happen. Take care, and good luck this week. Love ya babe!!!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Hey,sorry that you got cancer again thats probably not so fun,I hope you get better soon and I luv you!!

Douglas

Kelly Kane said...

UGH!! I'm sooo sorry to hear about your LTD nightmare!! I'm still fighting to get approved, and I didn't have a pre-existing condition, and it's been over 2 months since STD stopped paying. Any chance you can get STD (short term disability)? I'm thinking about you lots, please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for ya!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Good luck this week. I will be thinking about you and Scott and praying for you all. Don't forget I am here anytime! Big hugs!!!! Steff

Anonymous said...

well skye, I know you were saying that last summer the chemo was great for keeping mosquitos away, but come on, would buying a can of OFF be a less drastic approach to mosquito season this year.

I was sitting here trying to think os happy positive thoughts (not my speciality) when a co-worker suggested "Way to go! You did it!" Probably not the most fitting so how about "You'll do this again!"

We've got a week off mid August, If you need anything say the word, although I will not be doing any aerobics with you near scissors.

Take care of yourself first, the rest will happen or not.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I was trying to think of something to say besides sorry for the bad news seeing as we are all obviously all sorry,so I figured I have enough girls to make a cherleading squad and we will be cheering you on everyday. Go kick ass! I will bleep the a word though. Anyway not to copy anyone but the same goes for us. I may not be able to do much and until I win powerball not have much but whatever you need just say the word and you got it.By the way I don't think you know this but thanks for helping me pass psychology. I somehow aquired some floppy disksof yours and they contained papers you had written and you guessed it I used that info to help me get an A in psych. Just wanted to let you know even when you don't know it you are helping someone in some way. Take care, Love always Carrie

Veronica said...

Skye - I love it when you're crabby!! It shows your 'take no sh*t' side which you're going to have to use to show The Hodge whose boss!

Hope the LTD policy writers never get screwed by their own handy-work........it's not as if anyone ever plans this kind of crap, is it?

Thinking of you every day..x

Kelly Kane said...

Hope you're doing awesome with ICE!! I'm thinking of you :)

Anonymous said...

Hey kid, glad to see you're "feisty" this week. Complacency is not something you should have fighting the bureaucrats!
Anyway, hope you can workout the bullsh*t.
Be tough, glad you will be home sooner.
Jess and I are working on the church dinner. We thought we would leave you and Scott off the worklist this year,since you will probably be knee deep in radiation and isolation about then!
Seriously, lots of prayers and positive thoughts comin' your way.
Love ya
LaDonna

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis! I wanted to drop you a line before we head out east for vacation. I already spoke with Grandma Peltier, and she sends her prayers and love. I will try to keep the family updated as to how you are doing. Please know that we will be thinking about you the whole time, and I hope things are going smoother than you had expected. Remember you are a STRONG Peltier woman, and nothing gets us down. And remember, ROCKY took a punch or two that really messed him up, but in the end ROCKY always kicked ASS!!!! Love ya babe!

Crystal and Family