This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Back at work!--and other news

Hi everyone!!!! I know it's been awhile since I've updated all of you, and I am really sorry about that. I am happy to say my lack of updates is due to feeling pretty good and trying to get a lot done!!! For starters, my tomatoes are trying to take over my back yard!!! I planted 10 plants this spring, thinking I was going to be needing a "project" since I didn't have cancer to fight this year! Well--that was a thought-out plan, wasn't it!! So far, I have canned 42 jars of the little buggers, but I think I am done now. I still have tons of tomatoes, but have just run out of time to do anything with them. I went back to work this week, and I go in for my second round of chemo next week. (Secretly, my hope is that my tomatoes will be all gone by the time I feel well enough again to do more canning! But don't tell anyone!!)

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I did say I went back to work--on Monday, to be specific! It feels good to be like a "normal" person again, although I admit I'm not really doing a hell of a lot of work! I've met with a couple clients, mostly to process with them what is going on with me and to refer them to another therapist. That is sad, but I feel confident I am leaving my clients in good hands! I plan to work the remainder of this week and next Monday, then I'm off to Omaha for 3 days of chemo. Yippee!!

I didn't mention the weekend canoeing trip Scott and I are planning to go on this weekend! Before all the "fun" of next week, we were invited by Adam and Tawnya (Scott and I met at their wedding and they were in our wedding) to go on a 30 mile trip down the river and camp overnight! I am so excited about doing this, but am keeping a watchful eye on my health to make sure I am safe to go. For those of you who have been skeptical about how wise it is for me to go on this trip (and I know you're out there!), I really do appreciate that you haven't been too vocal regarding not wanting me to go. Afterall, you all know how stubborn I can be--and this is something I really want to do!

Finally, the big "fallout" of hair is definitely beginning. I started noticing it on Monday and had my next door neighbor/cosmetologist cut it real short yesterday. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's chunks of hair falling out everywhere. So, I'm hoping it hangs on through the weekend (although I plan to wear a big floppy hat during my vacation), and then it gets shaved off--again. Emotionally, it feels a little harder for me this time around. I am confident, however, that when I'm "ready" to shave it, I will be fine. The hardest part for me is actually my oldest son, Riley, who is (and was the last time I was sick) very sensitive about it. He told me last night that he doesn't like it when mommy is sick and he doesn't want me to take the medicine that makes my hair fall out. Damn. There's just no easy way for any of us to understand this crap. Of course, five minutes later, he was happily eating ice cream! See, ice cream does fix everything!!!

Well kids, I think that's all for now! I will try to be more vigilant about updating here--ya know, since I continue to avoid replying to emails! I'm not trying to be rude, but I just know I would feel obligated to respond to everyone's emails and I just don't have that kind of energy. As always, I absolutely love to see when people leave me comments here!!!!! Take care and love to all!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

skye I love you. I'll see you when you get back from your weekend. I know you will have fun and that is what you need right now, so you can face next week. I'll see you on Sunday. You have some great friends on here, they all care so much about you and the 3 boys. just a big Thankyou to everyone

Love Skye's
Mom

Kelly Kane said...

Skye, I'm glad you're working and going on your trip this weekend! Might as well live it up while you have the strength!!

Anonymous said...

Hey babe have a good time with your friends. Adam and Tawnya are awesome friend, I know.

Thinking of you all the time, and hoping you are doing alright. I want to come see you soon. Maybe all of us, maybe just me and Garret, but soon! I will scrub your bathroom for you, or just crawl around on the floor and play farm with Riley and my godson Kaden. Tell Riley I get the combine.
Next time Byron comes thru, I will tell him to raid your garden, as our tomatoes did not grow :(
Love you so much.
Nik

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis! I am so glad to hear that you are feeling up to working. I am also thrilled that you get to go away for the weekend. It sounds like you are going to have a great time.
About you tomato issue... Not to freak you out or anything, but you have seen "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" right??? I am less worried about your trip this weekend, and more worried that those darn vegetables might form a revolt! Watch your back :)
I am sure that Riley will come around and handle things like a real trooper. I remember how scared Douglas was when I got real sick (and that was nothing compared to what you are going through), but eventually he came around. Remember to use candy sprinkles on the icecream for those really tough days, and bust out the whip cream when all else fails.
You take care of yourself, and have a great weekend. Let us know if you nees anything.
Love Ya Babe!
Crystal and family

Veronica said...

I truly think you're amazing, Skye.......Wullie and I are thinking of you daily and we REALLY hope you have a fantastic break away. We went for a short break with the kids between Wullie's DHAP and his SCT and are SO glad we did..........the photos and memories of that helped on the low days in hospital.......you both deserve to have an amazing time......and I'm sure you will!! We'll look forward to reading all about it when you get back ........xx

Anonymous said...

Hey Skye, Have a great weekend but take care! Gene and I will try our best to entertain your mom on Saturday, but, rest assured, neither of us has the energy to wear her out so she'll still be good to watch the boys come Sunday!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.God Bless, Connie

laulausmamma said...

Hi Skye - it will be an honor to "meet" your huggable family. Gosh - it's all happening so quickly - but it sounds to me like you are handling things and being in control of what you "can" have control over.

Will you be traveling back and forth to Omaha each day next week or is there a "lodge" or someplace to stay so you don't have so many miles/hours to drive back and forth? I can't imagine a 3 l/2 hr car ride after getting your treatment.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear, you will be able to go canoing and enjoying nature. Your uncle just works me to pieces and we never have fun... yeah, sure! In fact we will go camping next weekend. You are in our minds sooo much. After all, you are our NUMBER ONE niece. Not, that we love the other two any less, but number ones are allways special!
Love,
Leena

Anonymous said...

Hey there Skye! I hope the trip was great! I am so glad you were able to do something fun that you wanted to do, (I was stripping wallpaper off of the bathroom walls). As usaul my prayers are with you and your family. Can't wait to treat you to lunch and a laugh. I will call you soon, but don't answer if you're not up to it. Miss you much, Steff

Anonymous said...

sHey Skye,
I hope Scott has recovered from the canoeing trip. I know it wasn't as relaxing as we might have imagined, thanks to the blowing wind. I was glad to hear that you recovered and were feeling fine! I hope to find some time to post some of the photos I took of you and Scott on the 30 mile journey down the Missouri river. (Not sure if I need to send them to you to be posted, let me know) Hey, it was an ADVENTURE!!! and now you can say you did it. (and probably never want to do it again .. smile). Just remember, if times get tough, you know that you have the will power to do anything (the completed 30 mile trip is evidence!)...

Hope all goes well with the upcoming chemo!! We are definitely rooting for you.

Thanks for spending last weekend with us! It was fun being with you!

Take Care!
Tawnya