This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Monday, August 6, 2007

Hello everyone! What a nice surprise to log on and see all the comments left for me! You all have no idea how much strength that gives me, knowing people care enough to check out the blog, sometimes leave messages, and even "chew me out" when I don't post on here often enough!! So the big news of the day today is that I almost feel like getting back to work, but I can't until I get permission from my doctor...go figure!! I'm working on getting permission, and don't plan to overdo it, but I definitely need something to distract me from cancer all the time. So, hopefully I will get a chance to get back to work by the end of this week--that's the plan, anyway!

I also stood in line at the Social Security office today--just so I could make an appointment to come back in three weeks to spend a glorious 2-3 hours there, defending why I need to be placed on disability. The good news is, assuming I will qualify for disability (which I should since I'm going into a transplant), I can continue to work with the doc's permission and as long as I feel up to it. I just can't make over $900 in a month--which should allow me to work pretty much all the hours I want since I am a counselor!!!! (That's a joke, people!!) Seriously, though, having the ability to get out of the house and do "normal" stuff until I actually get to the transplant part (probably in early to mid-September) will go a long way in helping me get through all of this.

It just dawned on me that I have definitely made this blog all about me. This whole experience, cancer, has definitely NOT been all about me. I've had the easy part. I have an enemy to fight and weapons in my arsenol. My family and friends, who have to stand by, helpless, have the truly hard part. It can't be easy trying to figure out how to help someone who is sick....does she want to eat, sleep, be left alone, talk about the cancer, talk about ANYTHING else??!! I wish I knew how to answer that question for anyone asking it. The truth is--it changes from minute to minute. What feels like a ravenous appetite one minute is complete nausea the next. Feeling full of energy is absolute and complete exhaustion the next. What I can tell you all, is that I love every one you. Thank you for asking. Thank you for taking the risk of my rejection. Thank you. And please don't stop asking. Even if I turn your offer down, please know that your well-wishes get stored in my chemobrain, so I can rely on your caring when I feel I am too tired to do all of this. I WILL beat this, and the love, caring, well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, and offers for help, is what gives me the confidence I need to do it. Love to all!!

13 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Skye, I'm glad you're feeling well. And a message to Skye's friends and family, please read this article on Five ways to help a friend with cancer -- even if it scares the crap out of you

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/article/0,6176,s1-21-80-1768-1,00.html

laulausmamma said...

Hi Skye - glad you are feeling better than when you posted the other day...and want to go back to work too...u r amazing my friend. Hope it all works out for that and with SS. Wish I could help you out at home...but since I can't...know that I am supporting you here and as one of your forum family..at least we can be your cheerleaders : }

(((HUGS))) Susan

Veronica said...

Yep..........there's a pretty big 'Chemocranky Cheerleading Squad' out here for you, Skye! Thinking about going back to work.........you're some woman, Skye! Good for you, hope the doctor agrees!! Wullie would be back to work in a shot if only his boss would let him!!!!

Take care and keep hugging the gorgeous men in your life..........xx

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on you. I see you still have your spunk! That's great to see. Hang in there. You are going to get through this. Seems like challenges come all at once. Levi just had his second surgery and we're hoping it worked. We'll know in a few weeks. Sorry to hear about Scott's carpal tunnel. Things will get better. Just hang in there! Tell Scott and the boys hello for us. Colton sends hugs to everyone! He's missin you guys too.

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! YOu will beat this! I can't wait to see you soon! Hugs and kisses, Steff

Anonymous said...

Hey girl...
So glad to hear you are doing okay...you know we CANNOT wait for you to come back to work, the office just isn't the same without you!! And of course you know with an office full of women we are going to pamper and cater to your every need...so it'll be good for all of us!! Including your patients...we won't go there..we'll just talk about that when you get back!!!

You and your family are in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers. And rest assure, we are going to hound you through this entire process asking and reminding you if you need anything that we are here for you!! You'll be so sick of us it'll be great!! Hang in there!! Luv ya girl, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis! First of all, you need to stop being so damn stubborn. Quit worrying about how everyone else is dealing and focus on yourself. You don't always have to be the big sister, always looking out for everyone's feelings. Remember, I out weigh you now, so I can for sure kick your butt! With that out of the way, I am so thrilled that you are doing well. We just got back to Boston from Grandma's, and let me tell you that they have all of the New England area pulling for you and praying as well. Grandma sends her love as does Linda, Norman, Dianne, Roger, and Flossie. Everyone out here is so impressed with your positive attitude. I told them that you were just to obnoxious to let this cancer crap get you down. They all agreed that you get that from Dad. Well, I should be getting to bed. Tomorrow is another big day full of sight seeing. I can't wait to show you the pictures of the kids playing in the ocean. I promise to eat tons of crap for you tomorrow, because that is the kind of loving sister I really am. Take care! Love ya BABE!!!
Crystal, Kevin, Doug, and Claire

Anonymous said...

Skye I am really sorry that I have not posted anything to you before now, but believe me........It is NOT because you are not thought of daily!! I just can't find words to express myself that haven't already been expressed by everyone else. Our whole family is praying for you and wishing and waiting for your cancer free status to return. I believe this is just one more challenge being given to you that will only make you stronger.Hang in there! Even though we may often question WHY?, in the end, God has a purpose for everything that happens in our lives...
Remember, if there is ANYTHING at all that we can do to help you, please....we are only a phone call away! If you and your mom would feel comfortable with it, she could certainly bring the boys down here and spend some time visiting and letting the boys play with the kids here while you are having your transplant. Tabi and John are close to moving back to their own place now, and Donna's boyfriend isn't working in Sioux Falls anymore so they won't be staying here, so we will have plenty of sleeping room and you know they would be MORE than welcome! But, whatever you are comfortable with.....we are here if you need us...may God Bless You and Your family,
Connie and Gene

Anonymous said...

Hi Skye,I'm glad you are feeling well enough to thinking of working. Larry and I have been thinking of you since your dad told us. Wish this hadn't happened to you again. We've read your blog and it's great to read how you are doing. We are thinking of you and the family often. I hope this reaches you - first time on a blog. Annette & Larry

Anonymous said...

Skye,

Just great to hear that your sense of humor is still good. Don't let those government employees get you down, we are all the same make you come in a hundred times and give you a hard time but in the end we give you what you want. How are we suppose to have fun!

Love Ya

Take care of yourself

Uncle Karle

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by and say...Love you, Girlfriend!!!
xoxox
Robin

Anonymous said...

Skye,

I am laughing about the comment of being a counselor so can work a lot and still not make over $900 a month. Is that not the truth. Oh well we all know we are not in it for the money and for the love of it. Glad to hear spirits are well and family is good. We are thinking of you and requested you and your family on our prayer chain at church. The whole world is fighting with ya. Just have to wait until the all clear report is read.

Jill, Wayne and kids

Anonymous said...

Hey sis, since your having so much luck with the government, maybe you'd like to join the revolution. Down with the Man and all it's imperialist trappings. Oops, gotta go, the secret service is closing in on the library (ha, ha, I'm wearing gloves so no fingerprints on the computer) Viva la revolucion (bad phonetic Spanish)