This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cleaning up post-SCT "wreckage"

I titled this with "wreckage" because I spent some time this week trying to get myself taken care of, physically. On Monday, I got an hour long massage (LONG overdue), along with my very first pedicure! I then paid a visit to my chiropractor, who readjusted pretty much every vertebrae in my back. Yikes!! However, Monday night was the first time since I can remember being able to fall asleep without a pounding headache. Gotta get massage and readjustment on a more regular basis!! However, I promptly ended up with a cold which wasted no time settling in my chest. No worries~~I already talked with my transplant coordinator and I have instructions to take it easy and head to a doctor if I have any significant changes or simply don't feel any better by Friday. Luckily, my mom is still living with us and is more than willing to take over the majority of parental duties. I feel like such a slug!

I saw my onc last Friday and had my bloodwork checked. My white blood cell count was 3.7--slightly low, but not too bad. The rest of my bloodwork actually looked pretty good! Seems that I will be heading back down to Omaha around November 13th to meet with the radiation oncologist that they refer all their lymphoma patients to. The idea is to meet with him, ask questions, and generally get the gameplan for radiation treatment. Not exactly sure yet how it's all going to work out, but I will be getting radiation in Norfolk, which is only about 1/2 hour from where I live. Much more doable! I'll definitely keep you all posted when radiation starts.

And, finally, I want to annnounce to my relatives back east that I am (hopefully) planning to make a trip out there in late June-until early July of next year! I am part of an online support group for people dealing with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and a bunch of us are planning on meeting each other in person in Boston next year. I thought I could make a real vacation out of it and visit with as many relatives as I can squeeze in! Mark your calendars for the end of June/beginning of July, and make space on your couches!!!!! I'll let you know when any real plans have materialized.

Well, that's about all the energy I have for today! Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon and be able to post here more often! Take care!

6 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Sounds like my couch will be mostly open... I think Karen is staying with me too! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey sis!

I am gald to hear that you took a little time to pamper yourself. You definately deserve it! Sorry to hear about you getting sick, but I suppose it would happan eventually.

It is very exciting that you are planning on going back east. I know that everyone out there is always thinking about you and would be thrilled to see you. I also imagine that it will be a lot of fun to meet those people to whom you have become so close.

Well, try to get some rest and keep you spirits up (you seem to be doing a pretty good job of that). I suppose I should try working for a change (heck, why start now!) Love ya BABE!

Crystal & family

Veronica said...

Wow - next June is getting bigger and bigger......soooo exciting!!

Hope you're taking your onc's advice (and my bossy instruction) on taking it easy - glad your mom is still there with you, SuperSkye, attention-whore, needs SuperMom to take care of you for a little while!

Take care - and start planning for next June :0)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you caught a cold and hope you feel better soon. I am happy that you are home though and able to be with family in your own home that certainly makes a big difference. Good choice to go back East I am sure you will have fun. Take care and good luck ahead of time on your next visit to Omaha. Love Carrie

Anonymous said...

Skye, It is so great to hear that you had a wonderful day of getting pampered. You deserve it! I am sorry that you got a cold. Listen to your doctor and take it easy. We all got colds too. I am glad everything is moving forward with no major complications. YOu are such a strong person. Keep up the great work. Hope to talk to you soon! Love Steff

Anonymous said...

Wow Ms Pampering Princess, You do know how to take care of yourself. Thats great!!!! You know me, a true believer in Body Therapy...Good for you!
You're trip sounds great too. That is such a cool area to visit.
Well I just want you to know that I think of you and send you love all of the time. Also Kaleb is moving to Wisconsin and made this horrible statement that he will become a Packers Fan...my youngest has been pulled to the otherside..the dark side. I love you Skye, Nanc