This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Heartbreaking news

As I've mentioned before, I have a network of online friends who are all dealing with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Everyone on the message board (or the "online support group") is fighting the hodge, has been through treatment in the past, or is the support person/caregiver to someone with Hodgkin's. One of the women I have grown closest to~~Anne-Marie Dunn~~has been fighting this disease for several years. It has come to our attention on the message board that she is in hospice care and currently (most likely) in her final hours of life. I have posted a link to her blog down below under "friends I've met along the way", in case you are interested in learning more about this remarkable woman. Please take some time to read a bit of her blog.

I am dedicating this update today to my friend, Anne-Marie, who has taught me that, even if you have been given the dreaded "terminal illness" diagnosis, you can still walk through this life with grace, determination, and an incredible sense of humor. I wanted all of you who read my blog to know about Anne-Marie. This may be the "easy cancer" and I should feel "lucky" to have such a "curable" cancer. This is still cancer--and it still kills people. I just hope to not be one person it kills.

My cold is easing up a bit, although I am on huge horsepill Amoxicillin (875 mg each) pills for 10 days. I still have a nasty cough, but hopefully the meds will keep me from developing pneumonia. I hope you are all doing well and not getting sick from the weather changes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Even though I don't know her, I know that she must be a very remarkable woman. Let this serve as a reminder to all of us, that even though the doctors say it is a curable cancer, ultimately God has the final say as to when our time is up (and this coming from a somewhat unreligious person). My thougths and prayers are with your friend and her family, as well as with you too. Keep your head up. You are a strong woman, and this disease will not get the best of you.

Love Ya BABE!
Crystal & family

Anonymous said...

Skye, Our heartfelt wishes to you and your friends and families. It is always difficult to hear of a loss of a friend, but when you are dealing with the same illness it must be both sad and a little frightening. If indeed this is her time to go, then we must believe that she has served the purpose that God has given her and it is now her time to be free of her earthly strifes and live in peace with him.
Never having known her, we can still be greatful for the encouragement and companionship she provided to her many friends.
I still believe that God has a continuing purpose for you, and pray that it is his will to bless you with a long and healthy life.Continue to have faith and we will continue to thank God for every day that he brings you closer to your cancer free status, and improved strength.
Keep your chin up, a smile on your face, and a positive attitude. We love you and you are in our thoughts always. Connie

Anonymous said...

Skye,
I am sorry to hear about your friend, yet comforted in knowing she soon will win her courageous battle! I think of you often, especially when the Pack wins in overtime!!! WooHoo! I hope you are doing well and enjoying your boys!

Veronica said...

Hey Skye - we're all so gutted about the news about A-M - one of those situations when no news does not equal good news :o(

However, it's not over 'till the fat lady sings (do you have that saying in the States???) and I'm not singing!!!!! We're all sending our vibes, prayers and positive thoughts her way, here's hoping it all helps - there are such things as miracles........

Glad to hear there's some improvement your way....keep trying to take it easy. Thinking of you Skye..........xx

laulausmamma said...

Hi Skye - very thoughtful of you to share the news about AnneMarie on your blog - the more prayers and positive vibes being sent to Dayton, Ohio, the better for AnneMarie and her family. I sent my card off to them today. Thankfully AnneMarie has had a few more days than expected with her family...and some added quality time. She has touched our forum family in a special way.

Glad you are getting over your cold. Don't want it to become a bigger problem for you at this fragile time in your recovery. Keep taking good care of yourself.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Skye, I just read that Anne-Marie passed away on Monday. I am so sorry. The things she has taught you, and the examples she has set for you as far as how to live a full life even though you are fighting this awful disease will be invaluable to you. Love you very much.
Nik

Veronica said...

Just checking in, Skye - hope strength is coming back slowly but surely - do you have a date for your radiotherapy?

Hope you're OK and your boys aren't wearing you out!! - take care,

Vx

Veronica said...

Hey Skye - just doing some Thanksgiving internet stalking and hoping that this Thanksgiving is truly fabulous for you and your family. Hope to hear an update from you soon, although I know those littl'uns will be keeping you busy and time is a luxury!!!!.........hope all's well with you, Skye..........xx

Duane said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!!

Veronica said...

Thinking of you, gal..........xx

Duane said...

Hey Sky,

Checking in. Please give us an update when you can. ;)