This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Radiation almost done!!

From the lack of messages I've received since my last update, I'm worried I've offended people (either that or no one really is reading it anymore)! I want to just say that I never intended to offend anyone, and I certainly was not directing the "guide" toward anyone in particular. This guide is meant as much of a guide to myself as it is for anyone else. Unless you are gifted with perfect communication skills, it's not uncommon to not have the "right words" or say something that might not be the best "just to say something". I know I have trouble knowing what to say or do for someone going through a tragedy. Please know I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I posted the article.

Okay, onto my current status:

As of today (Wednesday), I have three radiation treatments left. So, Monday will definitely be my last day!!! My white blood cell (WBC) counts are holding steady, despite a nasty cold I had last week. I am still coughing up a bunch of gunk and I'm on antibiotics, but I feel SO much better! Radiation is making me look like a freshly cooked lobster. I apply a cream at least three times per day, but my sensitive skin is just ready for this whole experience to be over! When I was sick last week, my energy level was completely in the toilet. This week, however, I am not feeling too bad. I'm still really tired by the end of the night, but it's not unbearable.

So....I have my first set of scans scheduled. That's right, boys and girls--I still have no idea if the transplant even worked! My last set of scans was in July last year, when my relapse was confirmed. I will be in Omaha on February 12th to do bloodwork, PET scan, CT scan, and doctor appointments. It will definitely be a full day! I'm sure, with my newly developed anxiety, I will definitely be using Xanax to get through the day. Yummy--I can almost taste my barium sludge (prep for the CT) already!

Hope all are doing well, and I start to get some responses from anyone out there who still reads!

8 comments:

laulausmamma said...

Hi Skye - I'm still checking in on your blog. I hope no one was offended by your "guide"...I've read it on the forum and reread it again here...it's helpful information for anyone who chats with a cancer patient.

Glad rads are almost done...plan something special for Tuesday instead of going to the treatment center : )

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!

I don't think you have to worry about offending anyone! Even if it was directed at anyone (and I know it wasn't), you have earned the right to express your feelings without any remorse.

To anyone who thinks that her messages were directed at you personally, you obviously do not know my sister at all. She was blessed with the "Johnson" gene that enables her to say exactly what is on her mind and be 100% honest no matter what. So, if it was directed at any one person, she would have come right out and said so. We Peltier girls have no problem voicing our feelings or opinions (thank GOD we all have very understanding husbands).

Anyway...I am glad that your treatments are almost over. I am sure it will be a relief to pass yet another milestone on your journey. Keep up the good work (it almost sounds like I am praising you for coloring in the lines).

On a lighter note, I am giving myself a pat on the back for checking this site twice today. I told you that I was going to get better about getting back to my old routine.

Love You!
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Skye sorry I have not been on here I guess being down there I just didn't have a lot too write and we talk about every week. We will be seeing you sometime this Friday. Do you need me to come down in Feb.? If you do I'll have to see if I can get the time off from work. they have been real good with me this year, So let me know ok. Well take care and we will see you on Friday. Oh and by the way we will be bringing Chewy with us hope you don't mind.

Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey chica! I loved the post with the guide. What is great about you is you are very forgiving of your loved ones who just don't quite get it right!

Crystal-Mr. Luecke, that passed away from Groton, he is very loved in my town too- his parents and sister live here (and they all substitute teach here) and has many friends here. I hear he was an awesome teacher. One of my friends that was a the funeral said one first grader said about him: "He made us all feel tall"
Now, isn't that an awesome thing to have accomplished in your life?

Skip- hope you are enjoying your Brett Favre UNO cards that your Godson got you. He really loves you to have been able convince his mom to buy a Packers item and bring it into our home. (wow- for 9 months old he can communicate well, ha?) Just kidding! Actually, I will admit, your boyfriend Brett is an awesome quarterback and from what I hear, a great human being....

We are praying hard for you and I can't wait to see you - hopefully sooner than later. My hubby sending you loves from me just isn't the same!!!

Love you very

Anonymous said...

oops- previous post was from me Nik

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!! Great game. Dad and I Love you. Talk to you soon.



Love Mom and Dad

Kelly Kane said...

Skye, you never offend me! I just suck at reading blogs lately - I dunno, I'm just avoiding them lately - so don't be offended!!!

I'm so proud of you for being done done done done done done done with treatment!!!
XO

Anonymous said...

hey skye,
i talked to your mom last night and she told me you are back on your blog. sorry, i haven't had a chance to check in lately. same stuff,just crazy around here. you would think i would be used to that by now, but, i think i am just getting too old!
I am glad to hear that by now you should be completely done with treatments. I am still praying for you and your family and trying to send only positive thoughts your way.
hang in there, we are all praying for your health and strength to be good and strong soon.
Connie