This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Here's the low-down for the next couple of weeks

On Monday (10th), Scott and I go down to Omaha for a fun-filled day of bloodwork, PET scan, CT scan, and a bone marrow biopsy (BMB). We will have a doctor appointment on the 11th, (yes, that's 9/11--a little eery), to determine if the two rounds of ICE have put me into remission. If not, I will likely start my third round of ICE--but I'm being optimistic!!

Assuming I am in remission, here is the remainder of the plan that I know of right now...I will start neupogen shots on Friday (14th)--through Monday (17th). This is done to "pump up" my white blood cell count and help me produce enough stem cells for my transplant.

On Monday (17th) I will return to Omaha with my friend/co-worker, Angie, to have my Hickman line placed. This is a central line, which will be used for stem cell collection. Beginning on Tuesday (18th) I will begin collecting stem cells. To my knowledge, I get hooked up to a machine that basically sucks the blood out of my body, separates out the stem cells, and puts the remainder of the blood back into my body. Once I have collected the magic number (somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million)--and this could take anywhere from one to seven or more days--I will then be admitted to the hospital to begin 6 days of high dose chemo called BEAM (given twice a day). In case you haven't figured it out, that's intended to completely wipe out my immune system--then I will get my stem cells back and wait for my immune system (WITHOUT cancer!!) to return to a level that is survivable outside of a sterile environment. A mere 3-5 weeks from the beginning of the collection process, I should be sleeping back in my own bed again!

So, there's the tentative timeline. My admission to the hospital will be completely determined by how long it takes me to collect enough cells, but I will try to update as frequently as possible!

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey Skye - sounds like you're getting your head around it all. You'll feel better when you know you're in remission again. The SCT is tough, but do-able, especially for 'Superwoman' :0) and it's amazing how quickly it all gets forgotten as soon as your strength starts coming back. We're thinking of you this week as you get your results and see whether it's the quicker or longer route to SCT you're taking.......take care you.........xx

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you and I know you're tough enough to beat this again! It was great seeing you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Skye- we wish you well on your tests-hope you don't need another round of chemo. It's great you're setting it up to keep in touch w/ family at home. Thinking of you often. thanks for putting the other address on blog. Hope you get the shorter stay in hosp.
Annette & Larry