This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Thought I would make this its own blog entry...

My dear friend, Kelly, from the Hodgkin's message board I am a part of, wrote some really important things to keep in mind regarding my restrictions as I go into the stem cell transplant, so I thought I would copy it into its own post so anyone considering sending anything knows what I can't have....Thanks Kelly!!


Dear Friends and Family of Skye,

I wanted to share some restrictions that you might not know about for Skye since she's now moving towards her stem cell transplant...

First of all, she really likes presents...BUT... DON'T send her flowers because unfortunately she's not allowed to be around them.

Another thing is raw foods, so if you're going to drop off food for her (which would be a terrific idea) make sure it can be fully cooked because miss Skye's immune system is shot and she can't fight the bacteria that may live on them.

Also things I know that might be helpful "gifts" for her...

Maybe you could offer to babysit her boys, or come clean her bathroom, or do dishes, or do laundry, or do grocery shopping for her. Little helpful things like that would really make life a little easier for her.

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly, Skye's hodge fighting pal :)


Regarding my progress--I head to Omaha tonight with a friend/coworker so I can be at the hospital bright and early tomorrow morning to get my Hickman catheter placed. Beginning on Tuesday, I start collecting stem cells--and this is all considered out-patient, so I am not officially "in" the hospital yet. I won't be admitted until the day after I have collected the minimum amount of stem cells required to do the SCT (stem cell transplant) successfully. I will definitely post on here when I get admitted to the hospital. All my restaging tests came back good, although my onc (oncologist) wouldn't actually say I was in remission. At least the ICE did its job well enough for me to move forward. Wish me luck that I don't spend more than about 3-4 days collecting!!! I want to get this show on the road, so I can get back home to my family!!! Sending my best out to you all!!! Love always!!!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Great idea to post Kelly's advice, Skye - just wish I was closer to drop off well-cooked food and offer to do your housework (however, if you saw the state of mine, you'd probably decline anyway !!!). But, be assured I'll be sending you the best of vibes as you head into the next stages - hope your collection this week is smooth and bountiful (?)...........xx

Anonymous said...

I am very happy that so far you are doing well and things are moving along nicely. Good luck on the next phase we will be rooting on your plentiful harvest. (That sounds weird but I think you know what I mean ) Jessica comes home the 28th and she said to tell you good luck from her. I am also a little far away to help hands on but if you need anything I will do my best to help out just say the word. Love Carrie