This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ready, Set, COLLECT!!!!

Hi everyone! A quick update to let you know that my scans came back pretty good. The doctor wouldn't actually say the word "remission", but says the ICE did its job well enough to proceed right away with the transplant. So, I'll be getting growth factor (neupogen) shots twice a day from Friday to Monday, get the Hickman line in on Monday, and start collection on Tuesday. Hopefully it'll just take a few days to collect, and then I will be admitted to the hospital to start high dose chemo. So, the next stage is in full swing, and I even scored a prescription of Vicoden to help with the pain from the neupogen shots! YAY!!!! (Because I know getting only one shot--once a week--had me in some pretty fair amounts of pain for a few days each time). Besides, vicoden is fun!!! Just ask anyone I've made phone calls to after taking it!!!! I tend to have little to no memory of what I do while under the influence of the stuff! See, cancer can be fun!!!!!

Nik--your husband called and left a message saying he would have probably slept better if he hadn't had to snuggle up with a Packer's blanket!!!! Poor guy!!! Crystal--got your package and the card had me crying because I was laughing so hard!!!! Thanks for the super soft jammies!!!

4 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

I love that you scored some fun drugs!! I've never taken it, but I'm sure it would be funtastic! You keep laughing!!!

bette said...

hey skye,
I finally figured out how to post these things. Glad the test results came back good, and your on to the next stage. Good luck and we will keep praying for you. keep up the posts and hope to see you soon.

Veronica said...

Wishing you all the best for the next stage, Skye and hope you'll be able to keep in touch with all of us out here who are routing for you.........x

Totally random, but thought I'd share - I was at a teaching course yesterday and there was a girl there who reminded me so much of you (of course, I've never met you, but she looked so like the photos I've seen of you) I kept wanting to call her Skye, which would have been a tad confusing!! Your doppelganger lives in Scotland!!

Thinking of you and your family - and, as Kelly says, keep laughing.......x

Kelly Kane said...

Dear Friends and Family of Skye,

I wanted to share some restrictions that you might not know about for Skye since she's now moving towards her stem cell transplant...

First of all, she really likes presents...BUT... DON'T send her flowers because unfortunately she's not allowed to be around them.

Another thing is raw foods, so if you're going to drop off food for her (which would be a terrific idea) make sure it can be fully cooked because miss Skye's immune system is shot and she can't fight the bacteria that may live on them.

Also things I know that might be helpful "gifts" for her...

Maybe you could offer to babysit her boys, or come clean her bathroom, or do dishes, or do laundry, or do grocery shopping for her. Little helpful things like that would really make life a little easier for her.

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly, Skye's hodge fighting pal :)