This is a blog intended to keep family and friends posted about my progress as I undergo a stem cell transplant to fight my relapse of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I am "COLLECTION QUEEN"!!!!!

My oncologist has nicknamed me the collection queen, because I was able to collect 9 million stem cells in one day!!! He said I'm setting new records around there--which I'm not sure is true--but makes me feel pretty good anyway! So, what does this mean? Well, first, I don't have to go back for any more collection days. It usually takes an average of 3-4 days to collect, so right now I'm doing better than average!!! YIPPEE to me!!! Second--and most important--I will be admitted to the hospital tomorrow (Thursday) and begin at day -6 because I'll be getting my first day of chemo. This type of chemo is called BEAM, and I just recently received the educational sheets on it, so I'm not able to speak knowledgeably about this regimen yet. However, I can say this is 6 days of high dose chemo, and basically any side effect you can think of (and many you've never dreamed of) will be possible during it. It is intended to completely wipe out my immune system/stem cells, so they can be reinfused on day 0. The transplant team estimates I'll be in the hospital for another 10-14 days after transplant, as my immune system rebuilds itself. So, I will eat a good meal tonight, get a great night of sleep, and head to the hospital tomorrow around noon. Wish me luck, and I'll keep you updated as often as I can. Thanks to those of you who are sending me emails and cards. Your support is so appreciated--you have no idea how much it all means to me! Love to all!!!!

Skye

9 comments:

Veronica said...

Wow - you're going in TOMORROW? That's both fantastic and terrifying rolled into one! Great to get started, but there must be some nerves rattling round in there too! You'll do great girl - you forgot a 3rd great thing about having collected 9million little stem cells is that there's more to build you up quicker - the more cells you have the quicker they can do their job to build up your immune system, so another positive in your favour.

Wullie and I will keep you in our thoughts over the coming days and weeks - you'll do brilliantly Skye and before you know it you'll be eating those canned tomatoes again and running around after those handsome men in your life ;).............xx

Anonymous said...

Great news Skie! Never knew you had so much.... in you!!
But good luck going in and great thoughts and prayers goin' up!

Anonymous said...

Guess that proves our prayers are being answered. Will continue praying and wishing you the best, speediest recovery. Who knows, maybe you'll set all kinds of new records for beating this thing and they can use you as a reference and morale booster to all others who are having to endure this same thing. May God Bless you and have great things in store for you!!Hang in there and stay strong! We are thinking of you always. Connie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving me your site address so we can keep track of you (rumor had it you had escaped to Tahiti with a rather buff-looking pool boy).

I hope you don't mind if I stop in occassionally to see how you're doing. Most excellent news regarding the collection! You're in our thoughts here and I think of you everytime I walk down the hall and see your door closed.

~Dawn

Anonymous said...

I am so very happy for you and scared out of my mind all at the same time. I am thrilled that you will be able to begin, because the sooner you start the sooner it's over. I am, however, scared for you as well. I know that God is looking after you, but I wish I could be there as well to keep a watchfull eye. Please know that we are all thinking about you each and every day. We all love you so much, so please try to stay strong. Take care.
Love,
Crystal, Kevin, Doug, & Claire

Anonymous said...

Hi Hun Just writing to say way to go you hard a_ _.Just kidding. Keep up the good work and keep a positive attitude. Don't let the nurses give you to hard of a time in the hospital. I really don't know what to say other than keep up the good work, and that the men in your life miss and love you very much!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey lady!! I always knew that you were a QUEEN! Thanks for keeping me up to date on things in NE! I sure wish that I lived closer to help you out more! I am so glad to hear that things are going well with the stem cells/treatment! You take care of yourself and know I am thinking of you!

Love you,
Angel

Anonymous said...

Skye, you keep up the good work. I know it is hard for you to be away from the boys.But you know they are in good hands with Scott and the family. They loved the books, played with them until bed time and when they got up that is what they got before juice so you know they love them. wish I could be in both places at the same time. but you know part of me is always with you. take care and you go kick some a**. Thinking of you. Love Mom Terri

bette said...

Congrats, Skye on getting all those little buggers collected in one day. It was great having Kaden and Riley over yesterday, all the kids have missed them so much, and so have I of course. Take care and speedy recovery. We all miss you so much. GET WELL SOON !!!!